Egg laying & Friendly Chickens Breed?

nokusshon

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Malaysia
Hello,

I'm thinking to get Leghorns as a pets and egg laying chickens breed. But, I heard this breed not very friendly. Can recommend me which breed is suit for eggs purpose and as a pet.

Thinking to get 1 male and 3 females.

Most breeds that are considered to be very good layers are usually smaller and flighty. But if you're just looking to have a reliable layer there are plenty of friendly breeds out there. Orpingtons and Brahmas are my favorite and tend to be reliable layers as well as friendly birds. They both are also known for going broody, but we've never had a problem since most of ours don't seem to go broody for more than a day. But there are many options, and if you're raising them from chicks almost any breed can be a good pet if you spend enough time with them.

Depends on what you mean by friendly. All my chickens are friendly, but they aren't for holding the way you see "professional bloggers" do. They're chickens not lap dogs. Some chickens are individually affectionate, most aren't.

Yes.

Mine follow me all around, but they don't care to be touched -- except for squatting so that I can pretend to be their rooster (and that only when they're in the mood).

I would definitely look into Orpingtons. My buff lays every day for me in summer. I also love Austra Whites. They are less flighty then Leghorns but they lay just as well. OOOH also Swedish Flower hens. Mine lays every day and they are SOOO sweet and pretty!

Depends on what you mean by friendly. All my chickens are friendly, but they aren't for holding the way you see "professional bloggers" do. They're chickens not lap dogs. Some chickens are individually affectionate, most aren't.
Agreed, the majority of my flock would rather just be left alone. But there's still plenty who actually seem to enjoy being held or pet. Which reminds me, red sex links have been the most friendly birds we've had really and we've only ever gotten them as adult hens, so that may be a good option too.

If I didn't like the variety of feather and egg colors, I wouldn't hesitate to have all ISAs (the sex-link of choice in my area, available POL). Comparatively high turnover, but great, calm layers.

We started out without a rooster, and without him, I think there was a lot less feather pulling. But I wanted hatching eggs, so.... Many of the hens look pretty ragged by molting time now.

I got my buff orpington last year because I wanted an incubator. I expect her laying to be frequently interrupted by broodiness, so wouldn't want a flock of them. She's the sweetest chicken, and was a great mom to her first batch of chicks (now 4 months). She's not a bad layer, but her eggs are TINY. Like, starter-egg tiny, only they never got bigger!

My ISAs were friendly (my daughter seemed always to be carrying one around) - until we introduced new chickens, who apparently told them they don't have to squat when I'm trying to catch them and now they only follow the treats. :hmm They come running when they see me, follow closely when I'm gardening, and will eat treats from my hand, but (except for maaaybe the orpington) nobody is sticking around for petting, let alone considering sitting on a lap. And don't get me started on the babies - feral, completely feral. Hopefully they calm down when they start laying!

Back
Top Bottom