Egg laying gone way down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horseluver2me, Sep 12, 2013.

1. horseluver2me

horseluver2me Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    North East Oregon
    i was getting about 8 eggs a day from my girls. now all of a sudden i am only getting 2 eggs a day. the days are still nice and warm and somewhat long. and they seem happy i dont know what to do about it.. any suggestions?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

How old are they?

3. horseluver2me

Jul 15, 2013
    North East Oregon
    some of them were hatched at the end of February, others are about 2 years old, i also have some that are about 8 weeks old. i have about 30 in all

4. Fred's Hens

The hens, the layers, are 2 years old? If so, they are shutting down, most likely, and preparing for a moult. It's what they do.

5. horseluver2me

Jul 15, 2013
    North East Oregon
    my pullets were laying really well also. will they go through the molt at the same time?

6. Fred's Hens

No. Next year.

You should probably run "the check list". Common sense stuff. Hiding eggs off site, egg eating, exterior mites, lice, internal worms, and recent scare from predators, that kind of thing.

7. horseluver2me

Jul 15, 2013
    North East Oregon
    i have looked everywhere it seems for eggs... (they are hired for easter!) they all seem to be themselves. our neighbors horse was attacked by a coyote about a week and a half ago so i know they are in the area.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Confine them for a few days and see how many you get. They'll lay places you'd never think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by