1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Laying How Often & How Long & Then What?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by julnjake, Aug 27, 2011.

1. julnjake

julnjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this, I've read the FAQ several times but I'm still unsure of a few things. How often does a hen lay? And did I read somewhere that they typically only lay for a few years? But live for 10-14 yrs? What do people do with their hens that quit laying? I'm sure some people keep them around regardless but I assume others don't? So do they rehome them? Butcher them?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They lay about once every 36 hours or less. Depends on the breed, really. Some can lay 300 or more a year, others only lay 3-5 times a week. Older hens can still lay, just not nearly as often as they did in their "prime" of less than 3 years. Most butcher them once they get past their prime or give them away. Some that only keep them 1 - 1 1/2 years will then sell them as laying hens to backyard people.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:x2 Good information.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    usually one egg every 25 hours...depending on breed. I have 2 Australorp hens, it has been noted there was one in Australia that laid, 364 eggs in 365 days...amazing!

So it depends on the chicken...one a day, one every other day...

galanie is right, we either let them live out their lives, butcher, sell or give away....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by