Egg laying, non flying, breeds

High production layers tend to be lean, therefore fly pretty well. Heavier breeds tend to fly less .... once full grown. My Black Jersey Giants don’t fly at all, but they are huge, and not great layers.

For an all-around good layer that is a larger breed that may not be much of a flyer is Buff Orpington. However, I haven’t had these yet (picking up some of them in a couple of weeks), but the small hatchery I am purchasing from said they are one of their best layer (of the non-production breeds).

Buff Orpington are great chickens. Heavy and good layers of beautiful eggs. Highly recommended. Get some good quality chix from a breeder if you can. They are beautiful birds.

High production layers tend to be lean, therefore fly pretty well. Heavier breeds tend to fly less .... once full grown. My Black Jersey Giants don’t fly at all, but they are huge, and not great layers.

For an all-around good layer that is a larger breed that may not be much of a flyer is Buff Orpington. However, I haven’t had these yet (picking up some of them in a couple of weeks), but the small hatchery I am purchasing from said they are one of their best layer (of the non-production breeds).

My Buff Orps laid eggs for about three weeks their first spring, then went broody. That meant they did not produce eggs pretty much the rest of that summer, first because they sat on the eggs for three weeks to hatch them, then spent several weeks nurturing their chicks. Also, we clipped their wings to keep them out of the garden. Chickens are birds. Birds fly. Their second year they were much more productive and had either gotten out of the habit of flying or had gotten too heavy to try. We also pretty much gave up on gardening because of my health. I don't find Orps to be as productive as EEs and won't have them again. I agree that wing clipping or better fences are good suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom