Egg laying question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n2thestorm5032, Nov 11, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

How long after 21 wks should we be expecting eggs? a couple of day or weeks? just a thought!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Depends on just how mature your hens are -- do the hens have bright red combs & wattles [not pink], have you noticed them squatting when you pet them, if you have a roo do you see mating happening? We got our first egg on Saturday & our hens are 23wks. Some people don't have their first egg even at 28 wks though. So, [​IMG].

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends alot on the breed and somewhat on the individual chicken. I have some that started laying in the 19 to 21 week range, others of the same breed still not laying at 28 weeks.

4. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are buffs. and the combs are RED; Dark Red lol so it really depends because today is there 21st week birthday and all lol yeah they do squat when I pet them is that good or bad, what does it mean?

5. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Does squatting when you go to pet them mean they are ready to lay eggs?

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Squatting is a general indication that they are ready to lay if they are egg laying age [usually 17-21wks]. Please take note of what words are in italics [​IMG]

7. Eliza

Eliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    Lisbon, CT
    AH HA! that explains that! The girls are 20 weeks, and one, Miss Bustle, squats when I pat her. Out of 12 hens, I have only 1 egg a day - me thinks that Miss Bustle is the only one laying small (pullet sized) eggs so far? I thought that because she let me pat her, none of the others let me do that; and neither did Miss Bustle until last Saturday, that it might be a sexual posture...

Why would that one hen after not wanting to be patted would now desire it??[​IMG]

8. rubyv67

rubyv67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Daggett,CA
    I know it sounds dumb, but what is a pullet egg? And do chicks grow from them? I'm learnning, and I couldn't find the answer searching posts. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by