Egg laying question?

Depends on just how mature your hens are -- do the hens have bright red combs & wattles [not pink], have you noticed them squatting when you pet them, if you have a roo do you see mating happening? We got our first egg on Saturday & our hens are 23wks. Some people don't have their first egg even at 28 wks though. So,
idunno.gif

Depends alot on the breed and somewhat on the individual chicken. I have some that started laying in the 19 to 21 week range, others of the same breed still not laying at 28 weeks.

Squatting is a general indication that they are ready to lay if they are egg laying age [usually 17-21wks]. Please take note of what words are in italics
smile.png

AH HA! that explains that! The girls are 20 weeks, and one, Miss Bustle, squats when I pat her. Out of 12 hens, I have only 1 egg a day - me thinks that Miss Bustle is the only one laying small (pullet sized) eggs so far? I thought that because she let me pat her, none of the others let me do that; and neither did Miss Bustle until last Saturday, that it might be a sexual posture...

Why would that one hen after not wanting to be patted would now desire it??
th.gif

I know it sounds dumb, but what is a pullet egg? And do chicks grow from them? I'm learnning, and I couldn't find the answer searching posts. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom