Egg laying question

Mine have favorite spots for laying, one of which is inside a hollow piece of driftwood. Just make sure there's soft bedding or dirt in the covered area, and they will likely feel comfortable enough to lay there. One of my hens actually tries building nests under cover, throwing bedding around and building up little walls around her after she lays, but I don't know if that's a common behavior.

Just a note: some hens don't start laying until 8 or 10 weeks. By the time yours are ready to lay, there might not be enough daylight (~14 hours) to trigger that behavior in them.

im using buckets for nests, if you do the logs change the hay out a lot! bugs and animals could use it and it will make the chickens uncomfortable.

My quail are laying at six weeks. Well five of my twelve hands are. I do not see why someone said they are a long way away from laying. If it was a chicken you would have a long wait. Have fun and enjoy. The first egg from a batch is always the most exciting.

My guess is Shadrach didn't see this was posted in the quail section, as the post doesn't specify what kind of 'babies' we are talking about. Or Shadrach is only familiar with the new world quail that take longer to mature - which could be what the OP has, but as the OP seems to be expecting eggs soon, that doesn't seem likely..

My quail are laying at six weeks. Well five of my twelve hands are. I do not see why someone said they are a long way away from laying. If it was a chicken you would have a long wait. Have fun and enjoy. The first egg from a batch is always the most exciting.
Ignore my post. I didn't notice the heading and assumed they were chickens.:oops:

Back
Top Bottom