Egg laying song

Alicia113290

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Hi everyone! So my black sex linked started laying Sunday. I was so excited to find the first egg Sunday morning! Yesterday morning I heard the egg song and went right out afterwards to find a nice warm egg. Today however I heard the egg song at nearly the same time. Went out about 10 minutes later and there was no egg!! Does anyone know what could be happening here? Thanks!

Hi everyone! So my black sex linked started laying Sunday. I was so excited to find the first egg Sunday morning! Yesterday morning I heard the egg song and went right out afterwards to find a nice warm egg. Today however I heard the egg song at nearly the same time. Went out about 10 minutes later and there was no egg!! Does anyone know what could be happening here? Thanks!
Normal..She is excited about laying the egg so keep waiting you will probably find one again soon.

The egg song is something that isn't just engaged in after an egg is laid. Some hens, Welsummers are a good example, use any occasion to sing it and make a BFD out of just about any aspect of the egg process.

They sing before they lay an egg, after they lay an egg, and will volunteer to serenade any other hen that is climbing into a nest box.

The egg song is something that isn't just engaged in after an egg is laid. Some hens, Welsummers are a good example, use any occasion to sing it and make a BFD out of just about any aspect of the egg process.

They sing before they lay an egg, after they lay an egg, and will volunteer to serenade any other hen that is climbing into a nest box.
Yes...My one Hen when she was younger sang the egg song each time someone else laid an egg and herself included. Mornings were pretty loud here..:gig

Thank you all! I greatly appreciate the help. I was wondering if y’all might help me one more time. I noticed the “bloom” of the egg was prominent on the first egg this bird laid but not so much since. Is that normal? Just worried about if I need to refrigerate them as I didn’t plan to until washing. Thanks!

I think we only notice the bloom if it is still a bit wet when we find the egg; in any case you don't need to refrigerate (or wash for that matter) - the bloom is nature's protection for the egg :)

It's normal :)
You don't need to refrigerate them unless you want to. I only put them in the fridge if I plan on keeping them for longer than a few weeks.
And I really don't wash mine unless visibly dirty :)

Back
Top Bottom