Egg laying start?

Tinkey71

Songster
Nov 8, 2018
Florida
my chickens just reached 18 weeks, they are Rhode Island Reds, so they should be laying any day now. Anything to look for?
I know some chickens that come to maturity during winter may delay laying - we live in Florida so not really cold weather here, although less sunlight and some cool nights have happened this year. I’m also giving them a mix of egg layer feed and scratch grains which I’ve read may keep them laying during winter months.

Look for bright red combs and squatting behavior.
You can also do a butt check if you really want to know! I just waited for the eggs myself. I don't really feel the need to feel up my chickens butts.

My flock of New Hampshire Red, 2x Plymouth rocks, Delaware, Easter Egger, and Buff orp has 3 laying right now at 26 Weeks old. The first (barred rock) started at 24w, second (EE) at 25 and another , I can’t tell if it’s the BO or the Partridge rock, started just a couple days ago. I have gotten one dozen eggs in the last 7 days from 3 new layers!

I think they would have laid sooner if they were a month younger, right now the biological clock is competing against the solar cycle.

I definitely have 5 chickens squatting for me. Do yours squat when you touch them?

I’m also giving them a mix of egg layer feed and scratch grains which I’ve read may keep them laying during winter months.
This diet is not conducive to good growth/maturing.
The amount of calcium in layer feed(3-4%) is not need until they are actually laying.
Most layer feeds are lower protein(~16%), the scratch is even lower...growing birds do better with more protein than that.

I know some chickens that come to maturity during winter may delay laying
Definitely part of the equation.
Might be warmer down there, but days are still short...and that is key.

I don't really feel the need to feel up my chickens butts.
not really looking to do that either lol
:lol: Oh, come on, it's not that bad....and you should be looking there regularly anyway, for that's where the bugs will be...as well as knowing what a normal vent looks like in case of problems down the road.

Back
Top Bottom