Egg laying stopped after crop issues

usaf1997

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2024
Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could lend me your experience on a matter I am having with one of my australorp hens-Polly.
Several months ago Polly had sour crop which turned into an ER visit, which turned into antibiotics, and testing. Her crop has never been the same since so now she wears a crop bra which I made for her. Works great!!!
So now for my question and most importantly my concern- ever since her crop issues started, she hasn’t been laying any eggs. The times that I’ve had to bring her in the house due to crop issues, I have looked her over, examined her, made sure her back side wasn’t swollen or showing any signs of obstruction. Btw, Polly will be one this March-just in case I didn’t mention it before.
All my chickens are extremely healthy, absolutely no parasites, internal or external.
super clean run, and coop. I check all my 14 birds daily- each morning and night. Making sure to do a good visual on the crops and backsides.

If Polly isn’t laying and it isn’t life threatening, then I’m fine with it. I am not going to kill my chicken over egg production. I guess my concern is- is this ok? Is it ok for her to not be laying any eggs? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've not had a chicken not lay eggs but slow down when they get older. A crop issue shouldn't have anything to do with her egg production. Have you tried some oyster shell in a dish, on the side? That's not the cure necessarily, but it could inspire her system.

Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could lend me your experience on a matter I am having with one of my australorp hens-Polly.
Several months ago Polly had sour crop which turned into an ER visit, which turned into antibiotics, and testing. Her crop has never been the same since so now she wears a crop bra which I made for her. Works great!!!
So now for my question and most importantly my concern- ever since her crop issues started, she hasn’t been laying any eggs. The times that I’ve had to bring her in the house due to crop issues, I have looked her over, examined her, made sure her back side wasn’t swollen or showing any signs of obstruction. Btw, Polly will be one this March-just in case I didn’t mention it before.
All my chickens are extremely healthy, absolutely no parasites, internal or external.
super clean run, and coop. I check all my 14 birds daily- each morning and night. Making sure to do a good visual on the crops and backsides.

If Polly isn’t laying and it isn’t life threatening, then I’m fine with it. I am not going to kill my chicken over egg production. I guess my concern is- is this ok? Is it ok for her to not be laying any eggs? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Was the crop issue caused by an infection? If so, she may not lay for a while, if ever. If is wasn’t buy ceramic eggs to encourage her, or play chicks peeping on your phone so that she hears it, just to get her mothering instinct up again and excite her enough to want to lay. Chickens may stop laying if she can’t find a proper place to lay. You said you brought her in the house. Is she still in there? Can she not get into a good nest?
Those are just some ideas and I truly wish you the best of luck!

I've not had a chicken not lay eggs but slow down when they get older. A crop issue shouldn't have anything to do with her egg production. Have you tried some oyster shell in a dish, on the side? That's not the cure necessarily, but it could inspire her system.
Yes for sure. When she is under individualized care she gets oyster shells on the side. Shes not even a year old. Not until end of March

Was the crop issue caused by an infection? If so, she may not lay for a while, if ever. If is wasn’t buy ceramic eggs to encourage her, or play chicks peeping on your phone so that she hears it, just to get her mothering instinct up again and excite her enough to want to lay. Chickens may stop laying if she can’t find a proper place to lay. You said you brought her in the house. Is she still in there? Can she not get into a good nest?
These are some very good questions and suggestions. Due to our horrible weather, I just released back into the flock yesterday. So I will definitely keep an eye on her which I always do. See what she does the next few days, it’s been very nice out so I Will definitely encourage her with playing chick noises. Thanks so much for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom