Egg Laying Video

Really?!?! Every bird I've ever seen laying, and I've seen quite a few, stood up at least halfway when that egg was ready to come out and drop.
They nestle down before and often afterwards, but not at the actual emergence.
Same,All of my pullets do a little squat.

Really?!?! Every bird I've ever seen laying, and I've seen quite a few, stood up at least halfway when that egg was ready to come out and drop.
They nestle down before and often afterwards, but not at the actual emergence.

Yep, that is the first chicken I have seen lay an egg standing up.

Obviously I do not see all the eggs my gals lay but I have seen a few and every single one of them has been laid while nestled down into the nest box. That probably also explains why the eggs quite often get stuck to their fluffy butts and they end up dropping them in the coop or run etc. Because they are nestled and the egg is wet, as it dries it sticks to their feathers.

I bailed up one of my Pekins [bantam Cochins] in the garden once with her egg nicely attached to her butt feathers
lau.gif

Hey aart, you have me intrigued now; I thought all chickens did this.

Yep, they have plenty of room in the nest boxes to stand up; being in Aus with a sub-tropical climate they have a kind of open air coop and nest boxes:

The backboard that Blondie is perched on is what I use to cover the nest boxes when they are broody; it does not stop Blondie planking though
wink.png

Could it be that I have short legged bantams and standing up is not going to make much difference? Besides the bantam Langshan, they are all low to the ground with not much daylight between body [feathers] and feet
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom