Egg laying

beckadlphn

Hatching
Mar 29, 2015
Ten Mile, TN
I have 3 hens,a buff orpington, a RIR and a brahma. I have had them since they were babies. They were all great layers the 1st year, even got a double yolk every other day. They are 2 years old now. My buff orpington lays daily. RIR lays a soft shelled egg every day for the last 2 weeks. The brahma has quit laying all together. I will say the brahma was broody the 1st year. There are no signs of sickness or being egg bound. I don't understand.

In your other thread you say your hens are 1 1/2 years old....so about 18 months?

They are probably getting ready to molt, they won't lay while molting, and can lay some funky eggs as the laying slows down then stops.

You also just added another bird a couple weeks ago, a young cockerel, that causes stress and stress can cause laying to stop.

I am sorry for this misunderstanding. I bought them from the local co-op as babies Easter 2015, so i am guessing on their age.The brahma quit laying after last summer. The RIR wasn't laying until the cockerel came and they are all soft shelled now.

I am sorry for this misunderstanding. I bought them from the local co-op as babies Easter 2015, so i am guessing on their age.The brahma quit laying after last summer. The RIR wasn't laying until the cockerel came and they are all soft shelled now.
Neither the RIR or the Brahma has laid at all this spring/summer?
Do you have a 3rd hen....is she laying???

Do you free range them?
What and how exactly are you feeding?

The RIR laid until a couple of months ago. She quit laying completely, until about 2 weeks ago. Now they ate all soft shelled. Yes, the do free range, normally. Since the rooster, we are waiting to let them out for awhile. We feed them laying pellets and a few table scraps, frozen corn and grapes. Yes, my 3rd hen lays everyday. And no, the other hasn't layed all spring/summer.

Back
Top Bottom