Egg laying

Briannafaith

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2022
My chickens are about to turn 23 weeks old. They are Indian red jungle fowl. I am curious to know if and when they’ll lay eggs soon. We just got our nesting box in the new coop. I’m new to chickens and excited to see my hens’ first eggs! They matured right at the beginning of fall.

We supplement light in the mornings to get the girls to to lay in the winter. We wait until after the fall molt. Then start our lighting program. The lights are on a timer. They are old Christmas icicle lights. They shine in the open windows which face east. My not well thought out theory is that it simulates sunrise. We will start lighting in a few weeks. We will set the timer to come on an hour before sunrise. Then we will set the timer to come on a few minutes earlier each day. Hopefully by Feb 1, all the girls will be back laying.

We supplement light in the mornings to get the girls to to lay in the winter. We wait until after the fall molt. Then start our lighting program. The lights are on a timer. They are old Christmas icicle lights. They shine in the open windows which face east. My not well thought out theory is that it simulates sunrise. We will start lighting in a few weeks. We will set the timer to come on an hour before sunrise. Then we will set the timer to come on a few minutes earlier each day. Hopefully by Feb 1, all the girls will be back laying.
Thank you! So I need to supplement in the morning and afternoon? Sunrise here is 7:30am and then sunset is somewhere around 5:30 in the afternoon

Back
Top Bottom