egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by troutlakearts, Nov 14, 2009.

1. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    We just got 3 new pullets about 4 to 5 months old. My question is what will their comb look like when they are getting ready to lay? When they get close I will open up the brood nest. Or should I open it up now?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I'd open it now. Mine started laying at 16 wks. Their comb will be reddish looking and they don't have to be large.

3. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    Thanks for the response!!!

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I too would have the boxes open. My BA started laying when they were 21 weeks. Here's a picture of one of them the day she layed her first egg.

[​IMG]

You should be having eggs before too long. Enjoy!

5. fowlgirl

fowlgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    ok, so what is the winter lighting frame again? My feed store said lights in the coop goes on at 3am till outside daylight taked over,say,8am. Then let them go to bed with naturaly. My girls have stopped laying all together since the Pacific time change. So does that seem right?

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:No that doesn't seem right. The chickens have no idea about the pacific time change. They only know hours of light not when our human clocks change. What breed chickens do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by