Egg laying

So for anyone watching my posts, here is the latest. I filled an egg with mustard and added a fair amount of blue food dye. HA... this morning no egg and no blue dye anywhere. This prompted me to completely clean the coop out and still no mustard, mustard egg or blue dye. I decided to hang out with them awhile and no blue poo. This mystifies me.
No snakes, no rodents.
So I must have some darn smart chickens.

You do have a mystery on your hands! I don't have any advice for you, but I do have a question for anyone who will respond.

My chickens are laying beautifully. They started Dec.22. I noticed Eve, one of my Barred Rocks, has dried stuff, not poop, on the fluffy feathers of her backside. I picked her up and felt it and it is not blocking the vent. It is just all down the back of her. I am pretty sure it is mess from egg laying. I could not work it loose. Can I trim it off with scissors or will she eventually groom herself back there?

DMoody. I believe you have a rat on your hands. They are stealthy and will steal an intact egg from the coop. Do a thorough inspection. they are incredible diggers and are actually capable of chewing through concrete. They can also squeeze through an incredibly small space.

Hole with the insides gone is not a chicken. Chickens will pulverize the shell and you'll just find bits of shell and maybe some goop. Any chance a skunk could be getting in there?

No skunk, the nest box material was all wet and clumpy tonight. I don't think I have rats either. The chickens are well protected. I think I will take pics of the coop tomorrow and see if anyone has any suggestions. Need a video camera. LOL. I ordered a rolling nest box.

So I overheard an employee at ts saying that a particular breed they have, can lay up to 5 eggs a day, is this possible? I definitely questioned him on it. It was a red variety mixed with Rhode Island red and leghorn. I've heard one a day is pretty much the max

Back
Top Bottom