egg laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by new2ducks, Oct 2, 2013.

1. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm not sure if anyone has asked about this before. My females (2) haven't laid eggs for about a week now. They were usually on schedule between 7 and 9am. I haven't seen any eggs though and they are fenced in so I looked in all the usual places and even the unusual ones and nothing. They seem healthy and happy and of course are active. Should I worry? I know ducks don't lay every day but this seems unusual to me. I have a khaki Campbell and a blue swedish.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Have you had any changes in weather or daylight? Is there any way a predator could be eating the eggs?

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Someone posted that Year round egg layers like these will drop in the Fall but pick up and lay during the winter.

You should start getting eggs from them soon.

4. new2ducks

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    well our days are starting to get a little shorter now. We had all the rain and flooding in Colorado a few weeks ago, no flooding here but all the rain. As for predators, I found a bull snake with their eggs, it was about 4 ft long and it looked like it had eaten a mouse because it was still moving inside it (yuk) so I got my rake and broke down the sunflower plants to make sure there was no nest of snakes. It was very docile and crawled away and I got the eggs. They layed a few times after that and then stopped. My dog killed the snake later that day and I've checked for any digging or snakes and haven't seen anything but very small garden snakes occasionally. My husband comes home around 4am and always checks them and whistles and feeds them sometimes. I'm up by 6 and am out there to check on them and play with the dogs and am in and out all morning. I'm just thinking that they are taking a break for now.

5. new2ducks

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    thank you, that's what I'm hoping for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by