Egg membrane from vent

She’s still in the nest. She‘s preening, eating, drinking, etc… but still isn’t acting better.

I gave her another calcium tablet this morning.

She’s still in the nest. She‘s preening, eating, drinking, etc… but still isn’t acting better.

I gave her another calcium tablet this morning.
What's her poop like?

Is she able to move about, walk, etc.? It may be time to move her off the nest to see if she's starting some broody tendencies or if she's that unwell.

What's her poop like?

Is she able to move about, walk, etc.? It may be time to move her off the nest to see if she's starting some broody tendencies or if she's that unwell.
Yep, she‘s walking. Her poops are small and runny.

She’s not really acting broody. No low clucks, not doing that purr scream when you touch her, not trying to get all of the eggs under her, etc…

Okay that might sound strange, but have you ever tried giving her an enema to flush out whatever has been stuck there?

There are saline enema solutions for human use, it is basically just salt and water in a sterile mix. Or you can use slightly warm (olive) oil.
Both saline solution and olive oil should be warm so as not to cool down/shock the bird.
Oil is more used when an egg is stuck, to slick everything up, loosen cramped muscles so the egg can pop out easier.
Do not use plain water as it will draw minerals from the birds intestines and can cause more cramps.

Extra warmth like from a heat lamp will help to loosen cramped muscles and to release whatever is stuck.

If you do not trust your ability to use an enema on the bird, extra warmth in a quiet environment should help.
And as long as the bird eats, poops and moves, if there is something stuck it should come out soon.

Maybe the egg already emptied itself out before, and just some of the membrane was stuck in the butt when you pulled?
At least some of the egg mass should have leaked out.

Maybe she is just still uncomfortable from it?

Yep, she‘s walking. Her poops are small and runny.

She’s not really acting broody. No low clucks, not doing that purr scream when you touch her, not trying to get all of the eggs under her, etc…
Feel inside her vent for an egg.
Work on hydrating her.
Can you get abx? I would go that route, the egg material may have leaked into the oviduct. Flushing would just push bacteria, fecal matter and/or egg material further into the reproductive system, it's NOT a closed system so you risk spreading infection. I would not recommend doing that.

Feel inside her vent for an egg.
I have, can’t feel anything.
Work on hydrating her.
👍
Can you get abx?
Probably, what would you recommend?
Flushing would just push bacteria, fecal matter and/or egg material further into the reproductive system, it's NOT a closed system so you risk spreading infection. I would not recommend doing that.
I would never even consider it.

Alright. I looked at Baytril, the shipping time was 7-10 days, which may be too long? What do you think?

From some of your other posts I see you generally recommending fish mox? I could probably find that locally right?
You may be able to find it locally. Look for Fish Mox or Fish Antibiotics at your TSC or similar store. Some folks that have larger exotic fish stores near them are about to find them.
Sometimes you may be able to order the Fish Antibiotics from TSC and get them as store pick up the next day.
I think it all really depends on where you live. Frustratingly, some states you have a very hard time even with ordering and waiting.

Back
Top Bottom