Egg Movement 1 Week Before Hatch

Specter

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hi all!

I have 5 bantam eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advanced Incubator.

The eggs are set to hatch 6 days from now on Wednesday, October 8.

Two days ago (8 days pre-hatch), and tonight (6 days pre-hatch), I am seeing eggs twitching.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

The instructions say lock down at 18 days, which would be Sunday.

Thanks!

Have you tried candling the eggs and seeing how far along they look? Eggs will usually start moving a few days before hatch, but a week or more is really early ime. While mine have hatched around 21 days, The main thing that would have me concerned is some people have said that their bantam eggs consistently hatch early, like at day 18/19 or so even if the temperature isn't running high. (Brinseas are usually really good about holding temps.) You might want to keep a really close eye on the eggs starting day 17/18 to be sure you don't have any of them pipping or trying to hatch while the turner is still on.

Bump

Anyone else have any insights?

It seems to me that the eggs sitting on a smooth, flat surface like the Brinsea, any fetal movement would cause a little wobble in the egg.

I would try not to worry too much. I hatch polish bantams in a Brinsea octagon 20 and they always start hatching on day 20 and have usually done by end day 21. As you say it's quite a flat surface in the mini so any movement will be easily seen. At day 13 the chick will be well on its way in development and moving in the egg as you may see when your candling the eggs. Even at this stage the chick needs to start getting into the right position in the egg. If your worried about an early hatch stop turning on day 17 so they don't get caught in the turner. Wishing you the very best of luck with eggs :frow

There's really nothing to worry about. The chicks are just moving around inside the eggs. In my experience, I've had bantams hatch as early as day 18 - 19. There's nothing you can do about it. If they hatch early, they hatch early. You can't stop it. If you're concerned about humidity, bump it up a bit.

Well tomorrow is day 18 (Lock down) and today I am seeing less movement. One of the eggs was moving a bit last Tuesday (Day 13) but I have not positively seen it move since. A couple of the eggs I have not seen move at all.

Any opinions?

I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Not much room to move now, but sometimes the light will show you the beak ready to break through the air sack AND you can see if your chick is a breach position and if you may have to help it get air and successfully hatch! ! Exciting! Good luck.

I have a Brinsea Advanced and I do not use the automatic turner. Friend who has had one, felt you got better results by handturning (whenever you go by the Brinsea or at least 3-5 X a day--not ovenight at all! ) Get 100% of fertile eggs hatch and often , if just 4 eggs, add 3 more (well marked with band numbers of parent birds, day egg was layed AND date DUE. Easy to see to turn. Day 18 not to turn is not critical, but I try to watch it. And I candle fairly often, so know the eggs (chicks?) well by the time they emerge!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom