Egg not hatched

Country Girl 2011

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Chick pipped a hole yesterday and this evening still nothing it has been over 24hrs when and do i intervene,It isnt making any progress i have used a Q tip to moisten the membrane that is showing....any suggestions

Try picking it up. Movement usually stimulates them to get their butts moving and get out. When you pick it up you should feel movement or chirping or something if its still alive.

it is still alive,some of the shell is off but the membrane is still there,it chirps but isnt making any attempt to get out,i never had any issues with my first batch and the first two of these eggs hatched fine

we have a foot sticking out ,seems to be resting quite a bit,i can see its face all nestled up under its wing.seems large for a chick.i really hope it lives

I would not mess with the chick. I had a chick pip and not hatch for two days after. She came out VERY quickly when she really started trying. Sometimes they just aren't ready to come out and they have pipped too early. It is fairly normal for them to take a while.

If after 24 hours of pipping and it's head is still under it's wing, the chick might be too large for the egg and is having trouble getting it's head in the right position. I would help. Slowly chip away shell, blunt tweezers work well, just wipe them with alcohol or peroxide to disinfect them. Stop if you see a hint of blood. The reason the hatch takes as long as it does so it gives the blood vessels time to dry up. Remove as much shell as you can and then give it a rest. See if you can take away enough for it to reposition it's head and let it do the rest. Keep the humidity up so the membranes don't dry out and keep an eye on it.

Not all chicks that are helped are duds. Some sincerely need a hand for various reasons.

Don't be afraid, just take your time. Work in small increments, keep it warm and humid.

Good luck!

its halfway out now and resting it seems,chirping and resting so hopeully the little one survives, well it isnt that little its got very large feet

Last edited:
Good luck, sounds like you may have to intervene!
I,ve got 2 that pipped 12 hours ago and have made not progress since. I'm off to bed so i'm not tempted to help out.
Hopefully yours and mine will be out come morning:fl

its out,seems quiet tired out,there is a bit of blood on its feet,didnt see this with my last batch or the two that were born yesterday.two eggs left one with a pip that began this morning and the other no sign of anything.

Back
Top Bottom