Egg number varies

Matt4him

Hatching
Oct 19, 2017
hello from huntsburg Ohio.! I have 5 batted rock hens and one rooster along with two white leghorn hens. They all have started laying except the rooster of course:). It varies from 5 eggs one day to 7 the next! One of the leghorns lays a double twice a week and then stops for a day or 2. Now one lays outside the nest box and lays on the coop floor??

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Since you pullets are new to laying, their frequency of laying can be sporadic to begin with. Add to that the shortening daylight hours (which also influence egg-laying) and you've probably got your answers as to the variability in egg-laying.

From my experience, some pullets tend to lay in random places at first - it's nothing to be too concerned about, as long as you can readily collect the eggs. I tend to try and accommodate my flock's behaviour wherever possible, rather than try and get them to do what I'd prefer them to do.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

Pork Pie

Welcome to BYC! Yes, daily egg count will vary, and may even slow down in the winter. They won't all lay every single day. Double yolk eggs are common in new layers.
How many nest boxes are there? They may all want the same box no matter how many there are.
Good luck with your flock!

:welcome

Good answers from the previous greeters. There are a lot of factors that determine egg laying...time of year, weather, breed, age, molting or broodiness, health, etc. What you're seeing is normal.

I have that happen pretty frequently with one girl in particular.
After a lot of spying I discovered the reason!
Maybe you'll discover the same thing happening at your chicken house.

Some girls sit forever to lay their eggs, then linger there pondering the meaning of a chickens life, while others are party girls. They get it done quickly then get right back out there because they're afraid they might be missing something.
Either of these things can be a factor here-
Sitting too long, or not quite long enough.

When the egg exits the body it's a little wet. If a hen sits for some time it can stick to her feathers, especially if she has a " fluffy butt"!
If she sits too fast this can happen too.

They'll get the hang of it.

Some people suggest a little fluff trim.

They hop out of the nest after a while and after taking several steps or jumping off the ramp.....
Plop!
The egg unsticks and falls off!

If it gets cracked just take it in and scramble it up in a pan shell and all and give your girls a nice breakfast!

If not , it's fine to eat.

*if you are concerned that it's "dirty" you can wash it.
Just make sure you wash it in a water temp WARMER than the egg, washing it in cold water can draw bacteria inside through the shell.

Hope this helps some!

Welcome to BYC! Yes, daily egg count will vary, and may even slow down in the winter. They won't all lay every single day. Double yolk eggs are common in new layers.
How many nest boxes are there? They may all want the same box no matter how many there are.
They have been all laying in the same box. I have 4 boxes in the coop

G’Day from down under Matt4him :frow Welcome!

As you have already received some great responses and links to some good starting points, not much more for me to add except that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom