egg pipped but not hatching

MudgesMom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
We let our girls brood their own chicks but we had a hawk attack on our BBR Modern Game Bantam, we had to take the nest and incubate the eggs. 10 all fertile/good hatching 3 days early (normal for us) but the first egg pipped at 10:30 pm last night , throughout the day we could hear the chick and it did manage to make a large hole but nothing more is happening. I' m concerned because the chick pokes it's head out and cries and that's it, I don't know if it's tired or in the wrong possition. Other chicks are hatching. Any suggestions? I've only incubated one other time, I love it when the mommy does all the work! 100% hatch- ALWAYS! I am an absolute nervous wreck, was up all night.

A few hatches ago on day 23 I was going to throw out the eggs that hadn't hatched (3 eggs). I picked one of the eggs up and I heard peeping and noticed it had pipped the bottom side which I couldn't see. I removed some of the shell and moistened the membrane and put it back into the incubator and a little while later it hatched.

Ok, I want to preface this by saying that I have only successfully hatched four eggs ever, and that was back in August. So, if someone else comes along with a lot more hatching experience, listen to them, not me!

However, what I noticed with those was that I noticed an egg had pipped around 5pm. Who knows how long it had been pipped; that's just when I noticed it.

In 14 hours, the hole had gotten a tiny bit bigger, but not significantly. However, when I looked closely in the hole, I could see the beak, and could see it breathing.

Right around the 14.5 hour mark, it was ready to go, and went from tiny hole to completely out in 9 minutes. The second egg pipped about 6 hours later, and hatched about 15 minutes after the first chick (so about 9 hours total). Egg #3 went from pip to hatch in about 9 hours as well. Egg #4 took almost 20 hours. I didn't help any of them, and they were all very healthy.

2738a37a.jpg

We're working on her/him. I think we may be too late.
sad.png
We have him/her wrapped in a cloth and in a bowl with plastic wrap on the top. We can hear him/her cheaping. We tried to peel some of the shell off but the chick started bleeding. We have stopped for now.

Thanks for the help! I know there's a lot of great incubating pro's out there.
smile.png

hit.gif
stop and just mist him a little and let nature take it course but be respectful if it dies and bury it make sure it is dead first

Last edited:
If the chick is taking over 24 hrs to hatch something might be wrong. It could be stuck. Sometimes they can take 24 hrs or more from pip to hatch. I let them go at least 24 hrs then if I need to I will carefully pick off the shell around the area the chick would normally zip without tearing the membrane and with a Q-tip or my finger I moisten the membrane where I picked off the shell then wrap the egg in a warm moist towel and put it back into the incubator. After a while if the chick doesn't hatch then I help it. If I see any blood I stop and immediately put the egg back into the incubator for a while longer. Then if the egg doesn't hatch I help it out. Sometimes they die but sometimes they live.

Last edited:
So sad, didn't make it. Died around 2:00 am. It had made a dime sized hole. I think what happened was that it was in the wrong possition or maby the air got it and dried the membrane and stuck to the chick. Humidity was good, normal range. Seven chicks have hatched, one is in the process, last egg pipped late last night.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom