Egg Pipped/Cracked in middle.....

STILL trying to get the humidity up, still at 61%. Added more water onto the sponge and cloth, and from that article you had me read, I put a tiny dab of coconut oil on the exposed membrane to keep it moist. Hubby held flashlight on egg and the lil bugger is trying to turn. You can just barely now see the tip of a dark triangle headed for the air sac, yay!! We are guessing now by the looks of things, that the foot is what caused the cracking, shell piece to fall off and the small tear in the membrane on the side of the egg. This shell is incredibly thin, so I'm extremely confident this little one will be here in it's own good time. Thank you all again for the help! I will post again with a picture after it hatches. :)

STILL trying to get the humidity up, still at 61%. Added more water onto the sponge and cloth, and from that article you had me read, I put a tiny dab of coconut oil on the exposed membrane to keep it moist. Hubby held flashlight on egg and the lil bugger is trying to turn. You can just barely now see the tip of a dark triangle headed for the air sac, yay!! We are guessing now by the looks of things, that the foot is what caused the cracking, shell piece to fall off and the small tear in the membrane on the side of the egg. This shell is incredibly thin, so I'm extremely confident this little one will be here in it's own good time. Thank you all again for the help! I will post again with a picture after it hatches. :)
61% isn't too bad at least.
That's good.
I don't think the foot could have cracked it, it probably just pipped there on accident or something. I hope he hatches on his own! Sounds like things are going well!

How's he doing, Valerie?
The beak is definitely in the middle of the egg, it keeps trying to push it's way out of the middle of the egg. So that must be a foot up by the air sac, that we earlier thought was a beak. The peep has turned into more of a shrill shreek, and they are fewer in between times. In my gut I feel like it's getting tired, but I'm a bit scared. Hubby and I have read that article twice each now, and he thinks in the next hour or so if it doesn't push its head out, we should open the air sac, little bit by bit, and look inside to assess the situation as we go. It's been at this for 14 hours now, that we are aware of, as we found it like this when we woke up. Also the membrane around the tip of the beak is drying and curling up now. :(

How's he doing, Valerie?
We have all the supplies too, a screw for the air hole to begin, a septic stick just in case, tweezers with a fine point, paper towels and sterile bottled water. I'm warming up a heating pad right now, wrapped in a bath towel on low.

The beak is definitely in the middle of the egg, it keeps trying to push it's way out of the middle of the egg. So that must be a foot up by the air sac, that we earlier thought was a beak. The peep has turned into more of a shrill shreek, and they are fewer in between times. In my gut I feel like it's getting tired, but I'm a bit scared. Hubby and I have read that article twice each now, and he thinks in the next hour or so if it doesn't push its head out, we should open the air sac, little bit by bit, and look inside to assess the situation as we go. It's been at this for 14 hours now, that we are aware of, as we found it like this when we woke up. Also the membrane around the tip of the beak is drying and curling up now. :(

JMO but at this point I would carefully assist. Sounds like the chick is getting desperate and could be fading, the loud peeps/shreiks are definitely not a good sign. You don't want to go to bed and wake up to find him dead.

Last edited:
JMO but at this point I would carefully assist. Sounds like the chick is getting desperate and could be fading, the loud peeps/shreiks are definitely not a good sign. You don't want to go to bed and wake up to find him dead.
on the other side, he was shrink wrapped and would never have gotten out on his own.
Okay thank you for this, we are going to start to work on the air sac right now. I will post an update asap. *crossing fingers & praying*

Okay thank you for this, we are going to start to work on the air sac right now. I will post an update asap. *crossing fingers & praying*
Be very careful, only open up a dime sized hole in the air cell. Then apply coconut oil on that membrane. Put it on a q-tip to apply. Go carefully though, if you rub too hard it will rupture a vein which will probably cause him to bleed out. You can do it. Remember, less is more. Go easy.

Back
Top Bottom