Egg Pipped/Cracked in middle.....

May 22, 2020
Texas
We now have 6 chicks, it literally just hatched! We watched it zip for half an hour, then it rested. So we sat down, and missed it hatching. Then heard loud peeping and ran to check. LoL #5 followed #4 shortly after and looks like a twin to #4. Such a wonderful day here. :)

Attachments

May 22, 2020
Texas
We now have 9 chicks!! 2 more assisted, yes we waited this time, almost too long, they were so dry and shrink wrapped wings, heads, feet were all glued together, in both cases their heads were in the opposite end of the air sac and malpositioned. That makes 3 MPs, is this a genetic thing or just coincidence? Here is a pic of the 7 fluffy butts in the brooder tote, the other 2 are in the incubator. Oh and, we have another pip! 7 eggs left to hatch. :)

Attachments

May 22, 2020
Texas
Meet Miracle, this was our first assist. She had a few problems the first 24 hours, she was flat like a pancake. But I read here on the forums to put her in a cup lined with a paper towel to keep her upright and from rolling onto her back. It worked! She is walking around really good today, and doesn't roll onto her back as often and get stuck there for the others to pick on her. I'm watching her like a hawk, and put her in the cup when I can't. She actually doesn't mind her cup now, and snuggles in to sleep. LOL I think she should be 100% by tomorrow, if she continues to progress at this rate. Check out that puffy Easter Egger face! :)

Attachments

May 22, 2020
Texas
This is Tweety Bird, because she is sassy, lively and noisy! Just like the cartoon bird! LoL This was chick #2 that we woke up to find, pipped-zipped-hatched all on it's own while we were sleeping. :) Should be a buff orpington hen crossed with either a gray orpington or welsummer roo.

Attachments

Rakaiachick

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
They are all so cute. Love seeing them.
Your question about the malposition: I don't personally know. I think it can be a shipped egg thing, or humidity, a number of factors can come into. Someone with more experience might chime in and say what they know/believe.

Top Bottom