Egg pipped for five hours

hlf1996

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
California
I know, I know I should not even think about helping yet. But, I just want some advice. This morning the chick pipped the egg (It's day 23 and he pipped in the middle of the egg) He makes loud peeps every couple minutes. When I look at him through the window, he looks like he is resting he moves around every so often but has not really tried zipping yet. Is he just resting and I am over-reacting? Thanks for any advice.

83705_img_4281.jpg

I don't start to worry until they have pipped for 24 hours or more. Yours looks like it has already started to zip a little so you might just be surprised in a little bit
fl.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

After pipping, it can take up to 24 hours for the chick to zip and hatch. Sometimes a bit longer than that.
Once they've pipped, they're still absorbing the yolk sac, and blood from the veins. During this 24
hours, they'll stop and rest often, which is what your baby is doing here. He is fine. 5 hours ain't nothin',
and it's likely he's not ready yet.

Looking at the picture, I agree with Melissa. That looks like more than just a pip, and seems he's working
at it.

Remember that it's not normal to help chicks out of the shell and that it usually only does more damage.
Unless my chicks are stuck due to something I caused - like shrink wrapped, etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Mine pipped yesterday. It will be 24 hours at 3 o'clock this afternoon PST. They are not nearly as far along as yours. I totally get the urge to help. Hang in the there. I know I'm trying to.

Okay, yesterday the chick decided to pop his foot slightly out of the hole. I have never seen or heard of this? He is still peeping but has not come out yet.

UPDATE: I took the egg out of incubator and carefully and slowly started to take the shell off. There was no veins and the membrane looked dry. I had to pull back the membrane so he could stick his head out and his feet. He is now out of the shell and drying off.

Good for you, I've let them sit and they died in the shell. I'm sure happy yours made it. I know there are millions of chickens in the world, but it seems like there is just one when they are slow to come out of the shell.

Back
Top Bottom