egg placment - large end up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Jan 22, 2012.

1. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    So the large end is supposed to be slightly up, i have a hova bator with a wire rack, if i just place the eggs on their sides will they be slightly up? if not how do i get them slightly up?

Thanks

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Did you get this worked out yet? This is a little bit of an old post.

It is intended that you just lay the eggs on their sides in a hovabator. The hens in a nest hatch them on their sides all the time. They should be fine.

I have, in the past, used a styrofoam (not cardboard) egg carton to keep the eggs upright and keep them from rolling around and into each other on hatch day. But the styrofoam egg carton needs to be nearly cut apart to make sure that the egg can breathe. I cut holes in the bottom of the egg carton and cut away the cups on three sides. It's about falling apart, but it holds the eggs upright. It's ultimately unnecessary, but I don't like the eggs rolling into each other on hatch day. I put the eggs into the carton on about day 18 or 19, you know, after they don't need to be turned anymore.

3. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Thanks, that's the way I've been doing it. it looked like in the incubator directions the eggs were on their sides, couldn't tell if the larger end was slightly up or not. i was hoping i didn't position them wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by