Egg Position & Humidity Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countyroad1330, Mar 6, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    First, is there anything made to help with the humidity in an incubator? With it being winter I'm having a horrible time keeping mine regulated.

Second, do egg turners roll eggs end to end? I do not have one, so all of my eggs are rolled on their side. Isn't it bad to turn end to end, since the air cell would be down at times?

2. Nu2Chicks

Nu2Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Palm Springs
    I don't know if I think it would hurt, but I use a turn-x incubator which rolls the eggs side
    to side flat, just like a chicken does. I've never seen a bird incubate it's eggs with the
    pointy end down and the big end up, so as a rule of thumb, I like to mimic nature when ever possible.

As for humidity, I think it's important, but not nearly as critical as precise temp. I think you'll do fine.

jo

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

In a turner they sit large end up and slowly move from side to side...not end to end.

I put a wet sponge in a butter tub lid to help up the humidity. It helps keep the sponge wetter, but there's no water for the chicks to drown in.

4. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Nu2Chicks, I agree with you on the egg turning.

Katy, that's a great idea! I will do that with my next batch.

Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by