Egg position on Day 18?

chickyrookie

Chirping
Mar 4, 2018
Red Bluff, California
I've been reading all the articles on incubating eggs. Today marks DAY 18! It said, "lay the eggs on their sides and position the lowest part of the air cell at the top of the egg." Can someone give me an example of what the "lowest part of air cell" is? I don't want to interpret it wrong.

This is my second attempt at incubating eggs. First time was not successful. I think I drowned them in humidity. I bough multiple hygrometers and calibrated them. I have 7 eggs that are still kickin' on Day 18.

Wish me luck!

Okay, I'll try to explain clearly. Although we all have the flu here, so.. that may be a losing battle ;)

If you stand the egg up with the air cell to the top, and the pointy end down, the air cell will not go straight across. It will be rather diagonal, with one side higher than the other. The side that dips down the furthest? That's the side you want to be facing up, when you lay the eggs down on their sides for hatching.

Although, my last hatch, I couldn't even see the air cells, because my eggs were so dark that candling netted me not a darn thing. So I just laid them down and went with it.

CandlingImage14.jpg

Here's a visual for you. See how it is a little lower, that's what you want to have facing up as that is usually where the chick will pip the shell.

Anyone? How do I position the eggs when going into lockdown? What do they mean by "lowest part of air cell?"
Dont worry too much about it. It is just a kind of general idea that on the lowest side of the air cell is where the chick most likely will pip. However, once that first chick is out and if you have other eggs in there with it, it will shove the other eggs around all over the place while it is investigating it's new world. None of them will stay with their air cells in the 'correct' position. Good luck with the hatch!
Read Sally Sunshines article on hatching 101, very helpful information.

Back
Top Bottom