1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Prduction?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hilfox84, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Hilfox84

Hilfox84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2015
    Indiana
    I just recently bought three females two welsh harlequins and one Pekin. I introduced them to my male Pekin. The girl I bought them from said they were excellent layers. She showed me their nest and there was quite a few eggs (it looked like she hadn't collected in a while). I've had them for a few days and haven't seen any eggs. I figured it would take a few days to get adjusted and that they wouldn't lay right alway. I was just curious how long it can take for them to get adjusted? Also the weather just got really cold all of a sudden so I didn't know if that would change anything either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    I would see about making a warmer nesting box out of an old fridge. I think that the cold can effect laying. I know that everyone else in town complains about their chickens stopping laying in the cold and I have no idea what they are talking about. If I mention that, they'll explain that their flock has stopped because of the weather and I'll mention that mine haven't stopped at all and yes, it's the same town.

3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Ducks will sometimes stop laying in the winter. My Indian Runner hen stops laying once we are below freezing everyday.

4. Hilfox84

Hilfox84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2015
    Indiana

They have a house they can go into the second picture is just some straw bales I put up for extra wind breakers. It seems like I heard somewhere that ducks/chickens won't lay for a while after they've been moved to a new place. I just didn't know if anyone else had experienced that.

[​IMG]

5. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    the more they like the new place the shorter the wait. I think chooks that arrive at my house it's a day or two or something as embarrassingly small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by