Egg Prduction?

Hilfox84

Chirping
Apr 23, 2015
Indiana
I just recently bought three females two welsh harlequins and one Pekin. I introduced them to my male Pekin. The girl I bought them from said they were excellent layers. She showed me their nest and there was quite a few eggs (it looked like she hadn't collected in a while). I've had them for a few days and haven't seen any eggs. I figured it would take a few days to get adjusted and that they wouldn't lay right alway. I was just curious how long it can take for them to get adjusted? Also the weather just got really cold all of a sudden so I didn't know if that would change anything either.

Last edited:
I would see about making a warmer nesting box out of an old fridge. I think that the cold can effect laying. I know that everyone else in town complains about their chickens stopping laying in the cold and I have no idea what they are talking about. If I mention that, they'll explain that their flock has stopped because of the weather and I'll mention that mine haven't stopped at all and yes, it's the same town.

I just recently bought three females two welsh harlequins and one Pekin. I introduced them to my male Pekin. The girl I bought them from said they were excellent layers. She showed me their nest and there was quite a few eggs (it looked like she hadn't collected in a while). I've had them for a few days and haven't seen any eggs. I figured it would take a few days to get adjusted and that they wouldn't lay right alway. I was just curious how long it can take for them to get adjusted? Also the weather just got really cold all of a sudden so I didn't know if that would change anything either.

Ducks will sometimes stop laying in the winter. My Indian Runner hen stops laying once we are below freezing everyday.

I would see about making a warmer nesting box out of an old fridge. I think that the cold can effect laying. I know that everyone else in town complains about their chickens stopping laying in the cold and I have no idea what they are talking about. If I mention that, they'll explain that their flock has stopped because of the weather and I'll mention that mine haven't stopped at all and yes, it's the same town.

They have a house they can go into the second picture is just some straw bales I put up for extra wind breakers. It seems like I heard somewhere that ducks/chickens won't lay for a while after they've been moved to a new place. I just didn't know if anyone else had experienced that.

the more they like the new place the shorter the wait. I think chooks that arrive at my house it's a day or two or something as embarrassingly small.

Back
Top Bottom