Egg prices/price gouging

Yes, they are nothing really new, but I find it a bit concerning that they say the specific words backyard chickens, as if commercially raised eggs and chickens are somehow much safer.
They are in the fact that children and adults will not be running through their coop or run, getting poop on their shoes then potentially tracking that into a house. And commercially raised chickens don't get kissed upon like backyard chicken pets. They might be pets to some people, but they could still carry bacteria that can sicken someone

It is just inflammatory news. The people that write these slant the information one way for one magazine, and will turn around and slant it another way to sell it to a different magazine. It is in the choosing of the 'facts' that they use that slants the article.

Look for the words: could, should, might. Those words are covering the writers hind end. Personally - I think that most eggs are safe in the USA - commercially or home produced. Could you get a bad one? Yes, but it is a rarity - and for God's sake - use some personal judgement.

They are in the fact that children and adults will not be running through their coop or run, getting poop on their shoes then potentially tracking that into a house. And commercially raised chickens don't get kissed upon like backyard chicken pets. They might be pets to some people, but they could still carry bacteria that can sicken someone
Yes, I can agree with that. My point is though that it is not as much of an issue as some make it out to be, especially if basic protocols are followed and children are monitored.
I would certainly hope that anyone new to getting chickens would find someone to advise them and/or read up on proper care and handling practices.

Yes, I can agree with that. My point is though that it is not as much of an issue as some make it out to be, especially if basic protocols are followed and children are monitored.
I would certainly hope that anyone new to getting chickens would find someone to advise them and/or read up on proper care and handling practices.
💯

Yes, they are nothing really new, but I find it a bit concerning that they say the specific words backyard chickens, as if commercially raised eggs and chickens are somehow much safer.
It is to them... because they can control the commercially raised chickens and in a way, the people depending on them for food. Not so with homesteaders and those that have backyard chickens

Your contractual veterinary services company will outline a surveilance program for your flock. You do have veterinary guidance, right? So, you know that there will be microbiological sampling for Salmonella and Campylobacter early in the production cycle, again before they are moved or culled, and yet again once or twice before harvest. And, of course, if there is a positive test the birds will be destroyed. Also, the coop and run will be disinfected and tested again before restocking. Even commercial operations take those precautions and backyard chicken keepers are much more responsible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom