egg prices

If you use EGGZY (eggzy.net) you really can get a handle on the cost you are paying for your own eggs. It might surprise you. (especially in the winter). As the OP said, it is what the market will bear.

A lot depends on how much someone puts into their chickens, coop, feed, treats, medicine (if any)....etc.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to try it out

I think it varies from different parts of the country. I only have about 3 dozen extra to sell each week. At first I just gave my extra eggs away-then some of my friends asked to be regular egg customers. I priced them at 4.00 a dozen. My son lives in Seattle and he sells his eggs for 5.00 a dozen, but he said a lot of people sell them for 7.00 a dozen. I let my chickens out for about 2-3 hours to roam about my backyard and they always have access to a nice sized run. I make sure people know how my chicken live-compared to chickens that produce grocery store eggs.

I've had some return customers pay me that much because they felt embarrassed about paying 3 for better eggs than the "organic" ones they get at the hippie dippie store.

I always tell them the chickens will appreciate the extra feed money. Funny how people will spend so much for the "organic" label. Mine aren't fed certified organic feed but the eggs are better as most "organic" eggs are not true free-range, they live in cages or dirt runs and eat a straight diet of feed. I've had some people turn away because my feed isn't "organic" though, just local feed mill brand. Their loss. Have no problem moving my eggs.

Well, I understand only wanting organic feed. Mine of course get to eat lots of greens and bugs, but I buy them organic layer feed as their "supplement".. The oyster shells I give them I get from a guy at the farmer's market since I don't know the quality of that feed store stuff. Yes, I am that crazy! I think that it's pretty important to eat organically for a few reasons, health being top of the list.

Organic free range eggs are as high as 7.50 a dozen here. $5 is reasonable if they were well treated and cage free.

I haven't sold eggs except to my father, who paid me $5 for a dozen.

I grow arganic veggies & sell them but I stay away from the O word. I just tell the people I don't use any chemicals. I sell eggs to & use the phrase Farm Fresh Eggs sold here & sell for three bucks a dozen.

Back
Top Bottom