Egg Prices?

I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say hello to a fellow Orlando-an!

Don't know what they go for in your area but around here ( Oregon) they are $2-$5 a doz. I price mine in the middle at $3
jumpy.gif

This has been covered in detail, so I'll give a short (and probably unhelpful) answer, and then tell you to do a search for "egg prices" or "egg pricing" here on the forums, since this question gets asked a lot.

No one on BYC can really tell you how to price your eggs. Egg prices are all over the place, and some people sell below cost (and might not actually know how much it costs them to produce eggs in the first place) and some people get a premium. Each area of the country is different in what the market will bear. For example, we live in the country in a very poor county near the state capital. If I were to just sell to local folks, I doubt I could get $2/dozen since store brand eggs run $1 on sale. But we sell in the city, and I get $3.00/dozen. And that's wholesale, with the retail price being higher depending on the location. It costs us $2.73 to produce a dozen eggs when egg cartons are 40 cents a piece. So we make money, but not much.

My suggestion is to figure out how much your eggs actually cost, and don't sell below that. Otherwise, you are basically subsidizing everyone else's breakfasts. Better, IMO, to donate excess eggs to the food pantry and help people and take the tax break than to sell below cost.

Again, do a search. I and some others have typed out long lists of all the inputs needed to figure out what a dozen eggs costs.

Good luck.

As much as you can get for them.

You have any more information? How do you keep your hens? How many?

I'm in Tampa more or less and tell people the eggs are 50c a piece, buy ten get two free, please bring your own carton.

I've had some folks question that price, but they all pay it. I know there are people getting 6/doz at markets and I know the old lady up the street sells her's for 3.50 (not free ranged).

You find folks that are health conscience, or are on some kind of high protein diet, or into the local sourced movement, or have been shaken up by stuff they've heard or scene about factory farms, or some combination and they pay.

It makes no sense to me to even compare yourself to a commodity product. To me that's akin to Ferrari looking at other local car dealers and using that to figure out their price. Well unless you are a commodity product. Kept in a coup, straight mash/feed, your angles are freshness, local source, not cruel to hens. Just that should get you a dollar a dozen over store. Oh, and some people really like the brown thing too, but there's so many brown eggs these days even in the market so it's hard to make a point of that.

Again though the answer is as much as you can get. I'd note it's easy to come down, it's hard to raise the price once you've set it.

I'm not in Florida, and it can really vary so much just within the same small town. Here people sell their own eggs anywhere from $3-$5 a dozen. I charge $5/dozen for mine because that's what I need to charge in order for it to be worth the trouble of selling them (we don't sell a ton or anything, just our extras, a few dozen a week, but it's enough to pay the feed bill so our own eggs are free.) We feed Scratch & Peck (high quality soy-free non GMO feed produced locally), the chickens have a huge run and free range whenever possible, and I take care to choose only the largest eggs in a variety of interesting colors for sale - the oddballs are reserved for our own consumption, lol. We have people clamoring for our eggs at this price - not enough to go around!

I charge $5/dozen for mine We feed Scratch & Peck (high quality soy-free non GMO feed produced locally),
What you feed does really change things. EricaD is feed a very expensive feed, so she can get a real premium. Non-soy is a big deal to some people. Ditto organic feed, ditto ditto high Omega feed, both of which can run over $30/bag in some areas.

Back
Top Bottom