Egg Problems

molinaln75

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Hello. I have an old hen who is laying funky eggs. I'm not sure of her age, but i rescued her at an adult age and she's been through 2 molts since then. Her eggs have gone from almost every day (at rescue time) with thin shells, to no eggs at all, to laying broken eggs, to laying almost every day again, but with thin shells. This has happened over the last 2 years. My other birds have very hard shells, so i am blaming the shells on age only. Her new daily eggs have meat spots, which i recognize as "normal." i feed those to my dog. Lately though, they've had grains present. This worries me. Can her feed enter her reproductive tract somehow? Is there possibly something that can cause her feed to end up inside her eggs?

Yes, it is possible for foreign matter to get into the eggs during egg development. Not common, but not impossible. It's more likely the grains are calcium, though, from her shell gland. You are right in guessing all these anomalies are due to age. There's not much you can do about it.

Hello. I have an old hen who is laying funky eggs. I'm not sure of her age, but i rescued her at an adult age and she's been through 2 molts since then. Her eggs have gone from almost every day (at rescue time) with thin shells, to no eggs at all, to laying broken eggs, to laying almost every day again, but with thin shells. This has happened over the last 2 years. My other birds have very hard shells, so i am blaming the shells on age only. Her new daily eggs have meat spots, which i recognize as "normal." i feed those to my dog. Lately though, they've had grains present. This worries me. Can her feed enter her reproductive tract somehow? Is there possibly something that can cause her feed to end up inside her eggs?
Grains inside the egg when you break it to eat?

Always take a pic when finding something strange inside an egg.

I am having exactly the same problem with one of my Isa Browns. I reckon they are about 3-4 years old now. The one with the problem just lays soft shells and the centre runs out into the straw.

I am having exactly the same problem with one of my Isa Browns. I reckon they are about 3-4 years old now. The one with the problem just lays soft shells and the centre runs out into the straw.
An Isa Brown (hybrid for high production) at 3-4 years old is at the end of her laying life, thus the funky eggs.

Yes, it is possible for foreign matter to get into the eggs during egg development. Not common, but not impossible. It's more likely the grains are calcium, though, from her shell gland. You are right in guessing all these anomalies are due to age. There's not much you can do about it.

That makes a lot of sense, especially since she's been laying weak shelled or sans shelled eggs; something funky going on with how her system is attempting to form the shell and failing at it... 2 seems awfully young though, to have issues already... Breed perhaps? A dud specimen? :p

Should I kill her (humanely) or do chickens like company.? I was going to wait till there were none left and then get a few more. Or should I get some more now? (Sorry to sound so crass!)

Should I kill her (humanely) or do chickens like company.?  I was going to wait till there were none left and then get a few more.  Or should I get some more now? (Sorry to sound so crass!)

That's entirely up to you, but if you don't mind her just taking up space and feed, there's no need to rush into putting her in the stew pot; she still has many years of companionship in her, and it might help having an older hen in the flock to help keep younguns in line, so to speak ;)

Especially if she's a good broody or a docile pet; it can be handy having some that are tame :)

Thanks Shortgrass. I will be off to the next Auction in town here. We have them once a month. It will be nice to get some more eggs!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom