Egg Production Decline

ml143333

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 30, 2014
We ten birds - one leghorn, 2 Plymouth rocks, 3 Rhode Island reds, 2 Easter eggers, a lavendar orpington, and one barred rock rooster. They are all about 9 months old and prior to winter setting in, we were getting 7 - 8 eggs a day. Once winter set in and the time changed, we are getting 2 - 3 a day, if we are lucky.

We installed a light in the coop and have it coming on at 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm. The sun is usually up by 7:00 am, but my rooster is crowing at 5:00 am. I open the coop at 6:00 am, but none of the birds come out then as it is still dark outside.

Should I increase the lamp to come on at 5:00 am or 6:00 am?

Not sure what else to do or if it will even help this year.

Thank you!
yippiechickie.gif

We ten birds - one leghorn, 2 Plymouth rocks, 3 Rhode Island reds, 2 Easter eggers, a lavendar orpington, and one barred rock rooster. They are all about 9 months old and prior to winter setting in, we were getting 7 - 8 eggs a day. Once winter set in and the time changed, we are getting 2 - 3 a day, if we are lucky.

We installed a light in the coop and have it coming on at 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm. The sun is usually up by 7:00 am, but my rooster is crowing at 5:00 am. I open the coop at 6:00 am, but none of the birds come out then as it is still dark outside.

Should I increase the lamp to come on at 5:00 am or 6:00 am?

Not sure what else to do or if it will even help this year.

Thank you!
yippiechickie.gif

How long have you had the light at the current setting and what type of light are you using?

Last edited:
It works better with my flock to have the light come on at 4am and go off at 9am. When i tried extending the light in the evening, my girls wouldn't roost before the lights went out and spent the nigt on the floor.

We have had the light on for 6 days.

We have a 75 watt regular light bulb in there. Someone told us not to use a heat lamp, but rather a 75 watt bulb because of the frequency of the bulb.

Thank you for your help!

We have had the light on for 6 days.

We have a 75 watt regular light bulb in there. Someone told us not to use a heat lamp, but rather a 75 watt bulb because of the frequency of the bulb.

Thank you for your help!
Six days of supplemental lighting is not sufficient to expect to see an impact just yet - but I do agree with the suggestion to add the light in the morning rather than evening hours.

I also add light in the morning only, using CFL. In pre-dawn, I can see them milling around and feed in the lit coop.

Back
Top Bottom