Egg production has fallen off drastically

kwhites634

Slow hands & an easy touch
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Right here; north-central MD
My flock of 10 Rhode Island Reds and 10 Barred Rocks has gone from a normal egg production of 15-19 per day early in the summer down to the 3 eggs I got today.

This is a free range flock that roams and forages by day and is locked up at night. I've occasionally had them lay their eggs in brushpiles and other hiding places around the barn, but the other day I left them penned up all day so they couldn't hide eggs, and still only got 4 or 5.

All these birds, with a single exception, were bought as peeps from the local Southern States two Springs ago; they're about a year and a half old now, and should be in their prime laying years, I'd think.

Any and all comments and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, 18 months is prime time for a moult. That and the decrease in daylight hours with winter approaching is more than likely your answer for decreased egg production.

No, no artificial light yet.

I've got more problems than simply decreasing light; as I say, this has been getting stadily worse since mid-summer. I've had chickens before, and have never experienced such a drastic, prolonged drop-off in production

Back
Top Bottom