Egg production in HOT weather -- does it slow????

troutlakearts

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
leesburg
We live in central florida and it is hot here like the rest of the east coast (more than usual). We have 8 hens, 2 of them are coming out of the molt the rest are allready out or have not begun to molt. Last Sat we got 7 eggs, GOOD! But the past 3 days we have gotten only 2 per day. The past year we are averaging 4 per day. Can anyone explain the last 3 days of only 2 per day. We collect eggs at about 12:00pm and again at 7:00 pm.

Any input will be appreciated! Thanks!
hmm.png

we have about 10 hens laying right now and we were getting about a dozen a day but since the humidity has been up and the temp has been above 90 every day our egg laying has dwindles down to 4 or 5 a day.. i think that the heat has alot to do with it.. we put fans in our coop to help them and the hens love it.. they sit in front of it most of the time.

Wow! We really appreciate the responses, maybe it is the heat after all! Any more comments????? Thanks a lot! Maybe we aren't doing something wrong, after all. Keep the comments coming!!!
smile.png

Two of my pullets just started laying a few weeks ago, and since then they've layed an egg just about everyday with a few breaks inbetween. Mine are always panting and holding their wings open due to this Florida heat, I'm in central FL too. I always make sure to give them plenty of water, cold watermelon, and I turn on a fan for them when I let them out in my yard. They are hatchery production RIRs, and egg laying is what this breed was bred for, as opposed to the hertiage RIRs.

I am also in Central FL and yes the heat has decreased our egg production by 30% according to my records. I keep frozen treats, tons of water, and fans but still lose of egg production. Started increasing a little and it looks like a few girls are beginning a molt so does not look good for increase anytime soon.

Louisiana reporting here & yes, the heat & humidity do affect egg production. I have 15 in my laying flock & today got 10 eggs; yesterday only 6; last week a "cool front" rain came through & got 14 out of 15 - it varies & is definitely affected by the heat. My flock is in shade all day long, and I give them frozen watermelon & veggies - they are much more consistent layers the other 3/4 of the year. I have Welsummers, a couple of Marans, Ameracaunas, Andalusians, and some "odds & ends" - two are original hatchery hens from Meyers, now almost 3 yrs old, & the rest I hatched out from eggs from BYCer's.

Extreme heat and extreme cold will shut a lot of breeds down completely and will slow others down quite a bit. No need to worry, they will be right back to normal once temps get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom