Egg production picking up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RThomas, Jan 5, 2012.

1. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Anyone else notice egg production starting to pick up? I'm noticing a few more eggs in the nests each day. My 21 hens have been laying terrible all winter. Of course, over the last few months I had some that moulted, one went broody, and some that were born early last year had never started laying. With them finally over their "issues" and the days finally getting longer, looks like production is picking up a little here.

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We're up 5 eggs this week so far. Last week we had a total of 20, so yes, and I hope it continues!

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG] Same here. I went from 2 eggs out of 48 layers to 22 today. I did put in extra light from 4AM -8PM from Dec 6-current. I have gotten more than 12eggs daily the last week. So did it really help?? but I am not going to stop it!LOL
    Ayda

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    The winter solstice has passed and days are lengthening, which will spur more hens to re-start laying.

5. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    My count is up slightly also, this week. Been thinking about putting some light in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by