Egg Production slowing drastically

intownfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
It has been really cold and not much day light any more. I went from 9-10 eggs a day to 3 yesterday. I read that putting a light in will help. PLease offer any advice you might have. The temps are in the 40's during the day and teens at night.

To remain productive hens require at least 13 hours of light daily. Put a light in the coop & your production should increase. That said, cold weather also affects production adversley.

I was getting 12-15 eggs/day during peak egg laying time. I have 19 hens. I saw it starting to drop when the light started getting less. I put a 60W light on a timer in the coop. It turns on at 5:00 a.m. and off at 8:00 a.m. My egg production still has dropped. Now I'm getting 9-12 eggs/day. it went down ,but didn't drop as much as yours. I do have a couple chickens starting to molt and the colder weather has something to do with it as well I suppose.

Adding a light will help, last winter my chickens never slowed down. I set my timer to come on at 3:30 and off at 7:00 in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom