Egg production stopped!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by riftnreef, Jun 7, 2011.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    OK...I know many factors can play into this, but my birds have up and QUIT laying. Not a single egg for over a week now. I'm hoping it's just the heat...I've checked the birds over...no obvious external perasites or illness. Plenty of food and water at all times...so, what are your thoughts? It has been hot recently...real hot! I have added some new pullets to the coop, but there don't seem to be too much fuss about it othere than re-building the pecking order. So...what direction should I look in next?

Thanks,

2. breedlovefarm

breedlovefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    What have you eliminated so far? Molting? Diet? Are you feeding them a lot of extra veggies and such? If the protein is not high enough that will do it. Also, even if there doesn't appear to be much fuss over the new pullets, my birds are always put off for a few days if I add new birds to the coop. Are they getting enough daylight (I would assume so if it is hot)...just a few thoughts. Good luck!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe you can check the nesting boxes real good to make sure there are not rodents, snakes or ants or anything in them, and could they be molting? Do you see alot of feathers laying around?

They could be upset with your new additions....And may need a little more time to adjust and get back to normal.......

What about changes? Any new dog next door, or anything like that?

Just trying to give you a few things to think about......

Hope things return back to normal for you,

Sharon

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is a lot I don't know about your situation so I'll throw out some ideas.

1. Are they hiding a nest on you? This is a real common cause.

2. Is something eating the eggs? It could be the chickens themselves, especially if the new pullets are egg eaters, or it could be many other things. Some leave evidence and some don't. If they are all disapearing, I'd seriously question if you have a pet dog that has access to the coop.

3. If they are all disapeearing without a trace, is a human stealing them?

4. Are they molting? Don't laugh. It sometimes happens this time iof year.

5. Stress will sometime cause them to quit laying. The stress could easily be the disruption in the pecking order. This heat can really cause egg production to drop. Running out of water can cause moting or just stop egg production. I'd suspect adding the new chickens is your real cause, but I obviously don't know. The heat could certainly have an effect.

6. Do they have a disease? There are a few different ones that will stop egg production.

5. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    They are not molting...at least not at all heavily if they are. They are not going outside except during the early morning before it gets very hot...then they just stay in where they are shaded and a bit cooler. Food has not changed...just layer pellets as always. I expected to see an egg drop with the addition of the pullets, but not to cease all together, and all at once! I've never seen anything like this. The birds appear outwardly to be healthy...no caughing or rales, just hungry birds with no eggs....[​IMG]

6. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    i can guarantee its the weather if theres no other probable cause! here in the u.k i have the opposite, if its too windy or rainy mine up and quit!! sounds crazy but true!

7. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I'm not getting many either (200 chickens and not hardly any eggs a day)... it's the heat. I just sprayed for lice and mites last week or so, everyone is healthy... what few eggs I do get the broodies steal. I got three new broodies today. It's the heat... willing to put money on it if you don't have mites anywhere.

8. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    My first thought was that it's the weather, albeit you've been given some good direction about other possible causes.

My hens stopped laying for a week and I finally realized I was giving them too many carbohydrates - scratch, bread, pasta, etc. I started offering things like plain yogurt and hard boiled, mashed eggs for treats and *BOOM* they started laying again. I have to really think about what I'm doing when I'm throwing down scratch and oatmeal. They beg so ridiculously that it's easy to get carried away. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  9. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Quote:I hear you on this one. Mine think that I'm terrible if I don't throw something down when I'm walking around the back yard. Spoiled chickens. [​IMG]

10. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Out of how many layers and what breeds??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by