1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg production

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by devoted, Dec 9, 2012.

1. devoted

devoted New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    Hello,

I'm trying to find ways to get my chickens egg production up. I've given them ample laying feed, supplemented with omega sups, given scratch grains and a flock block, plenty of fresh water, oyster shells mixed in with feed, and they free range most all day. Is there anything else I can try? I have 10 hens and get about two eggs per day. Hens are in prime laying years and do well in the summer.

2. birdonerous

birdonerous Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    NW Kansas, USA
    Sounds like you are doing everything right, sometimes you have to wait :) You can try adding light to the coop if you are inclined to do so. I've had luck giving them a mash of milk, cornmeal, and wheat germ... it can kick them into gear. Good luck!

3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Wow, it sounds like your are doing almost everything. There is a reason though, why chickens slow down on laying during winter, it's because of the lighting. The days are shorter in the winter and there isn't as much light as there is in summer. Nature has done this to make sure chickens lay more eggs when they think that the chicks will be able to survive, and usually chicks don't survive the cold winters in the wild and that's why chickens lay more eggs in the summer.You might want to put a light in the coop and have it on a timer to turn on early in the mornings. More light in the day stimulates their egg laying hormones, and you shall see more eggs.

Also [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

welcome to BackYardChickens!!!!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

In addition to what Chickeneer said, be careful to not oversupplement your birds, it can unbalance their diet, in particular improper cacium to phosphorus ratio and inadequate vitamin and mineral amounts.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, devoted, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Sounds like you are doing all the proper things. Winter isn't prime laying time but they will pick up in the spring. Best of luck to you!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. myyardgirls

myyardgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    I have a question, we have 4 girls in our flock, 2 rhode island reds, and 2 auracannas.. the 2 auracannas have been with us about a year and were already laying when we got them. they've been great egg producers until just recently. about 10 days ago, one of the aruacannas layed a couple of really large eggs for consecutive days, then...nothing. just wondering what we should or could do? not sure how old she was when we got her, but she had been laying when we got her...I'm open to all suggestions. She's a real part of our group, and wonder why she's stop producing eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by