egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cajunlizz, Aug 13, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    what are some reasons hens either slow down laying or stop ? Why do some lay at 20 weeks and some as late as 32 weeks ( same breed )

I have a hen that went broody and its been 2 months and never started back laying ?

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have not had this problem, but I have read many times that the heat can affect their laying. I see you live in LA. I live in MS, so one thing we got plently of is HOT weather. [​IMG]

I try very hard to keep my girls as cool as possible. I give them plenty of cool water and cool treats. I also mist them with cool water in the evenings to cool them off. I have heard of misters that you can buy and install in your coup.

Good luck and I am sure that you will have more suggestions than mine. I hope someone can help you figure out what is happeneing.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:How long was the hen broody? The longer she is broody, the longer it takes for her to start laying again.

A hen broody for 1 week may take 2 weeks to start laying again. A hen that has been broody for over 1 months takes about 3 months before she lays again.

My Jersey Black Giant hen starts her molt right after the chicks hatch. So she is closer to 3 months without laying.

At least, that's been my experience.

edited: now if I could just type [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by