Egg Prolapse questions

Southside Chicks

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2020
So our Hens have been laying eggs now for about 2 months. Production is picking up and we had our first issue 3 days ago. I noticed one Hen had an egg that was still in her membrane but was prolapsed. "Hanging out of her"
She seemed fine but was standing in a corner alone. She had not shown any signs of distress previously. Google search!!!!
"Egg Bound" We gave her a warm Epson Salt soak for about 30 min, covered her head to keep her calm while laying on her side, used some KY jelly and warm compresses over the exposed area. After a few min and some gentle pressure with the small end of egg pointing towards the exit we succeeded and removed the complete intact egg. She did awesome. :)
Here is were I have questions.
While she was still laying down, and we were rejoicing over our success, I noticed she started pushing again. WHAT?? I say.
Well to our surprise another egg came out, but it was SOFT "no shell" so that was interesting. Poor thing we said. We cleaned her up and returned her to the warm epson salt bath to clean her up. And again she started pushing while I had her in the bath. YEP, another complete egg came out. I was surprised, to say the least. She looks good and acted fine but I put her in isolation and treated the still prolapsed tissue with Witch hazel, Poultry Anti Bacterial spray and Prep H. I applied gentle pressure to push the membrane back insider her and held for about 1 min. I repeated this the last 2 days and she seems fine. Her color is good, comb is bright red and today I'm going to let her walk around to peck and scratch some. She is draining some white liquid but Im not sure if its the PreP H or something else. She is going to the bathroom #2 and its solid greenish.
Am I on the right path here. Should I look out for infection? Thank you for any insight. Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom