Prolapsed vent

Valthenya

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Phoenix, Arizona
Help. My Tilly has a prolapse vent and her flockmates pecked at her before I saw it. She's currently in an Epsom salt bath resting and I plan to gently push back in and apply hydrocortisone. Any other suggestions? I don't want to lose my sweet Tilly.

Attachments

• 26008940-26d6-40c5-bb49-ba27923bfa27.jpg
    26008940-26d6-40c5-bb49-ba27923bfa27.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 39
I'd start giving her extra Calcium asap. Calcium Citrate with D3, 1 tablet Daily for a week or if you don't have that, give her TUMS (daily). Calcium is important for retention and healing.

Keep any exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil, raw honey or the anti-inflammatory cream. It's important it doesn't dry out.

Hopefully it will go back in, but often the tissue is swollen and won't stay, so it may take several days of soaking/keeping the ointment on, etc.

Do see that she's staying hydrated and offer her normal feed. She needs water and food to recover.

I'd start giving her extra Calcium asap. Calcium Citrate with D3, 1 tablet Daily for a week or if you don't have that, give her TUMS (daily). Calcium is important for retention and healing.

Keep any exposed tissue moist with ointment, oil, raw honey or the anti-inflammatory cream. It's important it doesn't dry out.

Hopefully it will go back in, but often the tissue is swollen and won't stay, so it may take several days of soaking/keeping the ointment on, etc.

Do see that she's staying hydrated and offer her normal feed. She needs water and food to recover.
Would this be good? https://a.co/d/dD8Dwky I can get it delivered today.

Last edited:
I read that putting Insulin (sugar) water on a prolapse vent helps with any inflammation. It's used by avian vets.
Ingredients are: water, sugar
And all you'll need (if you want to try it) is a element and a pot. Heating the water and adding sugar until it stops dissolving. Stirring constantly. When no more sugar dissolves, let it completely cool and apply gentle to inflamed area.
Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom