Prolapse vent sanity check

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
I found a hen in the run with a prolapse vent. I need a sanity check to make sure I've treated her appropriately. For reference, she is a 12 month old Amerecauna named Sweetie.

I've done the following:
  • Separated her
  • Soaked her in an Epsom salt bath
  • Pushed the prolapse back in
  • Treated her with vetricyn and hen healer
  • Put her in a dark pen so she doesn't lay until she's healed up
Does she still get food? Or withhold to discourage poop đź’©?

Did I miss anything else? And how serious is this? She is one of my favorite hens.

She should still get food and water. They only need to be in darkness for 16 hours a day overnight, and allow them to be in daylight for 8 hours to eat drink and walk around. I would use a lubricant on her prolapse if it pops out, and it probably will. Honey, sugar with a couple of drops of water in a syrup, are good to reduce swelling. Vaseline, hydrocortisone cream are also good to keep the prolapse from drying out. If it comes out again take a picture to post here. Let us know how she gets along.

She should still get food and water. They only need to be in darkness for 16 hours a day overnight, and allow them to be in daylight for 8 hours to eat drink and walk around. I would use a lubricant on her prolapse if it pops out, and it probably will. Honey, sugar with a couple of drops of water in a syrup, are good to reduce swelling. Vaseline, hydrocortisone cream are also good to keep the prolapse from drying out. If it comes out again take a picture to post here. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you.

And the honey is only if it pops out again, or go ahead and do it now?

And just one day?

The honey or oils should only be put on the prolapse tissue. It is very common for those to come out again with pooping or an egg.

I found a hen in the run with a prolapse vent. I need a sanity check to make sure I've treated her appropriately. For reference, she is a 12 month old Amerecauna named Sweetie.

I've done the following:
  • Separated her
  • Soaked her in an Epsom salt bath
  • Pushed the prolapse back in
  • Treated her with vetricyn and hen healer
  • Put her in a dark pen so she doesn't lay until she's healed up
Does she still get food? Or withhold to discourage poop đź’©?

Did I miss anything else? And how serious is this? She is one of my favorite hens.
In similar situation, how is Sweetie doing now?

Back
Top Bottom