Vent injury possible prolapse pecking lots of blood

Kaddi143

Songster
Sep 29, 2020
I found one of my new young hens in the corner tail down (she started laying around 6 weeks ago). Bloody vent I assume from being pecked and possible prolapse. She had a slight prolapse i soaked her in epsom cleaned with antiseptic prep h and antibiotic sporin tucked prolapse in. I found what looked like possible small piece of blood clot or flesh unsure after soaking. I applied cayenne pepper to bleeding area on vent area. I put her in a brooder box sterilized with towels and some heat. I used syringe to force some rooster booster and erythromycin in her mouth. She has head down laying in box on towels. Not drinking or eating. But I felt her crop also which feels squishy and full too. Should I wait to massage crop for letting her rest if shes not actually dying, or massage crop now also? She is in shock for sure. Shes breathing but has eyes closed, does respond and open when I get near, but slowly.

Can you take a picture of her vent area? Offer water with sugar 1 tsp per cup or electrolyte water for shock. I would not massage her crop. A squishy crop being massaged might push liquids up into the airway causing choking. Rinse off the cayenne pepper. Apply honey, sugar plus a few drops of water made into a paste, or a cream, such as vaseline, hydrocortisone cream, or Neosporin. Keep the area moist with ointment or honey, etc so that it doesn’t ever dry out. Keep her quiet, no baths until she is more stable. Keep her separated.

@Kaddi143 how did your hen get along?
Shes good as new. I kept her inside 4 days prep h checked for egg bound. Tucked prolapse in. She didn't lay for a few weeks then started laying double yolks. Huge eggs.

Attachments

• 20240221_124551.jpg
    20240221_124551.jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom