egg qaulity

johnnytuthumbs

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
I've had two Rhode island reds for almost two months now and of course I've noticed how different the eggs can look. I've had some that have a lot of spots some have had more calcium than others and some that are two toned. Is there any time these irregularities are not safe to eat. I've ate all the eggs I've got and have had no problems but I just wanted to make sure this was safe

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I can't say I've heard of not being able to eat eggs that have a differing quality of shell before. The only time I would not eat the eggs would be if the hens had been in medication or wormed with a chemical wormer. Here is a lovely article on egg quality https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Wishing you the very best of luck with your hens in the future. Be sure to ask any other questions that you may have around the forums, there is a section for all aspects of keeping poultry.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X2 on Yorkshire Coop. The quality of the shell has nothing to do with being safe to eat. Each hen has her own way of putting on a shell and no two eggs will be the same. Must make sure they are all on a good layer feed, keep the goodies to 10% of the diet or less and always keep oyster shell on the side.

Enjoy your flock and eggs! And welcome to our roost!

Thank you everyone for your help. I figured it was safe. I been eating them any way and I love them. I never thought it would be so fun having chickens. They are fun to watch run around the yard. Thanks again for everyone's help

Welcome to Backyard chickens - please feel free to eat their eggs. If you ever check the eggs in a grocery carton you will see they often are not perfect and may have a grainy texture, or a bump here or there.

Back
Top Bottom