Egg quantity down

Martysgirls

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2020
Hello, I highly suspect the loss of day light is the reason we went from 6-7 eggs a day to 2 a day. My question is hiw long does it usuaully take my girls to adjust and return to their previous laying counts.

I think you are right about the loss of daylight. My 19 layers -- who will easily produce 7 dozen eggs a week in summer -- have now started their winter break. I don't do supplemental light during the winter, and they don't produce eggs. Until spring.

Some breeds will continue to lay during the winter but even my Sapphire Gems and Buckeyes slack off then. Although they are good for multiple eggs per week in summer, most days now, I get one or NO eggs.

Welcome to bYC, where you will find lots of people willing to talk about poultry all the time!

Hello, I highly suspect the loss of day light is the reason we went from 6-7 eggs a day to 2 a day. My question is hiw long does it usuaully take my girls to adjust and return to their previous laying counts.
Do you have electric light? It might help. There were no other changes? Enough space, what is the temperature in the coop?

Do you have electric light? It might help. There were no other changes? Enough space, what is the temperature in the coop?
Hi Sara, Currently no auxiliary light in the coop, I have considered. The single radiant panel heater seems to only acheive a plus 9-10 degree increase in temperature. I am somewhat concerned if that one alone will be enough. We're in NE Illinois in winter temps can and will probably be freezing for weeks at a time. I choose the Black Sex Links and the Isa Browns because they are to be more cold weather tolerant. Dunno?

welcome2.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving .jpg

I highly suspect the loss of day light is the reason we went from 6-7 eggs a day to 2 a day. My question is hiw long does it usuaully take my girls to adjust and return to their previous laying counts.
Yeppers!
How old are your birds, in weeks or months?
They will start laying when the days get longer after Solstice....how long after only time will tell.
They need at least 12 hours a day to stimulate pineal gland to cascade the hormones for ovulation.

The single radiant panel heater seems to only acheive a plus 9-10 degree increase in temperature.
Heat has nothing to do with laying, and is not necessary in your climate.
Heating the coop has several downsides, adequate ventilation makes it moot and is much more important the heat. Use that power source for a heated waterer.

We're in NE Illinois

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Martysgirls
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606395685985.png

6 & 7 months old, Thanks for advice on heaters. The only other variable is now that we're home because of the hole virus thing we're allowing them out in the yard much more. Since, we've noticed the their consumption of food has decreased. Are they supplementing cratching and pecking in the yard?

The only other variable is now that we're home because of the hole virus thing we're allowing them out in the yard much more.
They could have found a new nest site to lay in.

Since, we've noticed the their consumption of food has decreased. Are they supplementing cratching and pecking in the yard?
Possible....or they could be eating less because they aren't laying.

Here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom