**egg Question! :D

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeccaB00, Dec 4, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Hi! I have a couple questions about eggs [​IMG] So I have some hens. They're not laying hens, but I think we're probably going to get their eggs next time they lay since we don't want any chicks anytime soon. First, can I eat fertilized eggs? second, how do I wash them? Do I need to wash them?? Thanks!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i dont wash mine, i do clean them if they are dirty. especially if i am selling them. [​IMG]

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Thankyou for your reply! [​IMG]

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yes you can eat fertilized eggs, just refrigerate as soon as you gather them, then they don't develop. Dont wash them unless they have poo on them, then wash just enough to get poo off, dry them, then put in frig.

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Yes - fertile eggs are fine - you won't even know unless you let the hen sit on them for a week + she won't want to sit on them - so even if you left the eggs she wouldn't try to hatch them unless one of them goes broody.

You can wash the eggs if you want - but they last longer if you don't (6 months in the fridge vs 3 months for washed eggs). I always wash mine before I sell them & I alsways wash before I eat them.

Just run them under some hot water & rub lightly with a sponge.

They last longer if you don't wash because there is a 'cuticle' or covering on the egg that keeps water from evaporating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by