Egg question, I'm sure it's been asked before..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by corrinalynn, Aug 16, 2010.

1. corrinalynn

corrinalynn Hatching

Aug 16, 2010
    ...but I can't seem to find a good answer on Google and I can't find it here in the past forum posts, so
    here it goes. We were gone over the weekend and temps were 60-upper 70's. Yesterday it was only
    in the 60's. We have quite a few eggs in the coop and I'm wondering if they are still okay to use for
    cooking, like frying or boiling? And how long do eggs stay "eatable" without refridgeration?

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

2. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    They will be A okay to eat!

3. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Songster

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure about the temps outside but for our eggs we never refrigerate them and they keep up to 2/3 weeks on our counter...

I sometimes do the float test when they get around 3 weeks..

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I can't remember how long eggs will stay "good" unrefridgerated, but I KNOW they're good over a weekend...

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    For further information, so you know.

To check for freshness on any egg use the float test. I use about 2 cups of water, I have jumbo eggs. Put the egg in the water. If it sinks, it is fresh. If it is tipsy, it is starting to get a larger air pocket, it is older but still good. The older an egg the larger the air pocket, they are drying out. If it starts to float but is still submerged, it is still good but I have lots of eggs and those go to my dogs. If it floats to the top, its bad, toss it. Only store clean, not cracked or chipped or thin shelled or porous eggs. Use these type eggs first.

Unwashed clean eggs will be good on the counter for several months if your house is not to warm. Unwashed refrigerater stored eggs will be good for 4-6 months. Washed, not nearly so long. Around here, once washed, they go in the use first area or are given to the dogs or fed back to the hens.

Normally you only would need to test them for your use if you found yard eggs or had to get store bought eggs. Also, the older they get the more watery the white will get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: