Egg question

Tnoah

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2021
I have 2 hens and a rooster in a coop up high off the ground and it has the very small square wire around it and their nest are enclosed in plywood so I am pretty sure nothing got in the cage, but today upon checking the eggs there was one egg that had the side pecked out of it and the insides was gone. It was just laid last evening because I had just took 7 eggs out to be incubated. It had to be one of the hens or the rooster, but does anybody know why they would eat it. I feed scratch feed with a mix of mealworms, grit, and oyster shells plus a fresh fruit each day so I don’t think they are lacking any vitamins or minerals. These are my seramas. If anybody has any suggestions or can help please tell me cause I am trying to raise babies
Thanks in advance

How big is the coop? Do you feed them scratch as a feed or is just a comma missing?
You can blow out an egg and fill it with yellow dish soap, a few pecks and they'll leave the eggs alone.

How big is the coop? Do you feed them scratch as a feed or is just a comma missing?
You can blow out an egg and fill it with yellow dish soap, a few pecks and they'll leave the eggs alone.
I feed them scratch feed plus mix cracked corn, birdseed, mealworms, grit & oyster shells plus fresh fruit daily
The coop is about 4x4 with 2 box nest built on

I feed them scratch feed plus mix cracked corn, birdseed, mealworms, grit & oyster shells plus fresh fruit daily
The coop is about 4x4 with 2 box nest built on
OK, so scratch is not feed, neither is cracked corn or birdseed. They are treats and shouldn't be feed as the main food. They're only supposed to get a fist full.a day to share. I use bird food as scratch since it's not full of corn which isn't good for chickens.
You need to get them real feed like flock raiser/all flock or chick grower, your chickens need more protein, as well as the vitamins and minerals that are in feed.
meal worms have protein but too much fat. They are also treats, to be fed less than the other treats. :]
The run could be a little bigger if you can do it.

OK, so scratch is not feed, neither is cracked corn or birdseed. They are treats and shouldn't be feed as the main food. They're only supposed to get a fist full.a day to share. I use bird food as scratch since it's not full of corn which isn't good for chickens.
You need to get them real feed like flock raiser/all flock or chick grower, your chickens need more protein, as well as the vitamins and minerals that are in feed.
meal worms have protein but too much fat. They are also treats, to be fed less than the other treats. :]
The run could be a little bigger if you can do it.
It is flock raiser sorry I call it scratch feed

Back
Top Bottom