Egg Question

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Wooooohooo! We got our very first egg today!!!! I found this evening in the duck house (not there this morning)! I think it’s one of my khaki campbells as I think my cayugas bloom would be way darker. Any wayyy

The top of the egg seems to have scratches in the bloom (laid right in entryway to house). Is this still safe to eat or since the blooms compromised it’s a toss?

Very excited And proud of my ladies. Photos below

Attachments

• A25C8BEF-F4C6-4AB6-820C-8255CB83C9FC.jpeg
    A25C8BEF-F4C6-4AB6-820C-8255CB83C9FC.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 50
  • EBA7FE67-6442-4025-BE0C-E3F2C733C454.jpeg
    EBA7FE67-6442-4025-BE0C-E3F2C733C454.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 11
  • D22BB9FB-70F9-4487-8CF2-5E3DD9C442A9.jpeg
    D22BB9FB-70F9-4487-8CF2-5E3DD9C442A9.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 11
Congratulations!!
I agree that it is completely safe to eat

It is also completely safe to store, unwashed and preferably pointy end down and wait for a few more eggs to make a meal for yourself and whoever else .....deserves to be the first to enjoy the fruits of the labor 🥰

I usually wash just before cracking or cooking. Just be sure to use “room temperature” water and I use a scrubby/ green “Brillo” type pad

Cold water will make the membrane shrink away from the shell and draw any bacteria in.
Hot water will start to cook it.
Water as close as possible to the temp that the eggs are is the best bet.
(It’s a bit of an art more than a science, roughly “right” is ok!)

Congratulations!!
I agree that it is completely safe to eat

It is also completely safe to store, unwashed and preferably pointy end down and wait for a few more eggs to make a meal for yourself and whoever else .....deserves to be the first to enjoy the fruits of the labor 🥰

I usually wash just before cracking or cooking. Just be sure to use “room temperature” water and I use a scrubby/ green “Brillo” type pad

Cold water will make the membrane shrink away from the shell and draw any bacteria in.
Hot water will start to cook it.
Water as close as possible to the temp that the eggs are is the best bet.
(It’s a bit of an art more than a science, roughly “right” is ok!)
Thank you! I’m so excited. I invested recently in a kickstarter called the GoodEgg as they have a chicken and duck sized silicone scrubber and egg wash I’m excited to try out. Mostly the scrubber as it’s dishwasher safe. can’t wait to see my other girls start as well 😄

Back
Top Bottom